There is something about buying drugstore makeup that feels like Russian roulette. Don’t you ever feel nervous buying something if you don’t know what it will do? It could be the best foundation ever, or the one that will break you out and leave you scarred for weeks. Yikes.
You can read and read and read reviews online until you go blind but you don’t really know a product ’til you’ve tried it on. The problem with most drugstore brands is the lack of samples I can try at the store.
But on a few occasions, Lady Luck was on my side and I came upon hidden treasures in the drugstore. These products have been in my collection for a good while now (can’t you tell by the worn packaging?) and, chances are, will continue to be for a long time:
- Maybelline Color Whisper ($5.99) – These are the perfect tinted lip balm/gloss hybrids. I was so happy when I got it in Made-It Mauve that I went ahead and purchased another in Pin Up Peach. That was the first time I bought 2 shades of one product! It’s comfortable and sheer, but deposits just enough color to brighten up my face. The glossy finish is modest so it’s great for those no makeup makeup days. Did I mention how foolproof the application is? No wonder Tamira from Lipstick with Some Sunshine lists this as a work essential.
- NYX Blush in Espresso (not sure if still available) – I think I got this from an Ipsy bag or some other subscription service and I remember not using it for the longest time. Back then, I was put off because it looked like a strange mix of bronzer and rosy blush that might look muddy on the skin. Oh how wrong I was. This is actually a natural, muted rose that looks chic on my skintone. It also double as a pretty crease or all over lid shade.
- E.L.F. Essential Custom Eye Refill Pan in Purple ($1) – For the price, I was skeptical. But again, this drugstore find took me by surprise when I ended up using it almost everyday last fall. The blendability won me over. For me, it looked best as an outer corner shade paired with a bronze or rose gold on the lids.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles ($8.99) – The beauty blogosphere continues to rave about this product to this day because despite the cumbersome packaging (the sponge seemed to be wasting product so I took it off), the concealer itself makes up for that and beyond. The formula is smooth, blends seamlessly to the skin, covers dark circles and blemishes easily and stays on – some of which can’t even be said of high-end concealers for twice the price. This is the first ever concealer I’ve finished and, boy, I’ll repurchase it over and over again.
- Wet n Wild Color Icon Blusher in Pearlescent Pink ($2.99) – Nothing brightens up my face quite like this blusher. It’s a highly pigmented perky pink with a slight shimmer that makes it a spring and summer staple for me. I can’t say much for the packaging or the brush that comes with it, though. But like the Instant Age Rewind Concealer, the color and incredible staying power of this blush still makes it a treasure in my eyes.
What is your favorite treasure find from the drugstore?